I heard when I was a teenage that meekness is power held in control. Most of what to keep ourselves in check. But if it is for keeping up appearances then it is for the wrong reasons. If we keep our power in check for only selfish reasons then it is really about something not so noble. Maybe fear or playing politics.
But when we read a verse like “Blessed are the weak, for they shall inherit the earth”, what should it look like?
A baptist preacher named Martin Luther King Jr had something in mind.
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr’s Rules for Marchers:
1. Meditate daily on the teachings and life of Jesus. As Christians we should always do this
2. Remember always that the nonviolent movement seeks justice and reconciliation, not victory. Jesus came for us all… we wrestle not against principalities and powers
3. Walk and talk in the manner of love; for God is love.
4. Pray daily to be used by God that all men might be free. Jesus sets us free.
5. Sacrifice personal wishes that all men might be free. What good does it do to gain the world yet lose our souls?
6. Observe with both friend and foe the ordinary rules of courtesy.
7. Seek to perform regular service for others and the world.
8. Refrain from violence in fist, tongue, and heart. We can do a lot of damage to people even by gossiping.
9. Strive to be in good spiritual and bodily health.
10. Follow the directions of the movement and of the captain on demonstrations.
One should note that there is difference in having the attitude of meekness with your fellow man and having humility before God. God cannot be directly faulted by a system by which we rightfully can hold Him accountable. However, in this world there is room for expectations to have of someone to measure up to our own patterns on how to act. Sometimes those expectations are right and sometime they are wrong.
But the funny thing in that verse is that is goes against the basic desires one has. Inherit the earth? Not conquer it?
To conquer territory or people is to love people with a false love. Even to use people due to love of things. Meekness is drawn to use things as a means to love people. Ultimately in a later post I want to point out that ones noble suffering for the betterment of society is beautiful way to serve others.
But to inherit is based on the premise that someone owns the earth and has the right and full power to pass to whom He wishes. Meekness that is spiritually based has a knowing that in putting others above themselves is to know in some way that your holding an animalistic level of power in control ties to respecting His love and authority. This is at the expense of not being full of ourselves. Sounds like being free at last to me.